My Dad is retired. My kids, for the first time, are both in school full-time. And Dad and I love soup. And fall.
I love my Dad so much. Here we are having soup
back in the day (and waiting for a camera timer).
I think we might still have that pot.
This is my Dad one of the times we met at the Olive Garden for Zuppa Toscano Soup. We love it!
Anyway, Dad and I decided we are going to start cooking soups and having homemade soup together – or if that doesn’t work out – taking each other soup just because we both love it so much. We are two peas in a pod. Dad and I will go to a restaurant and totally order the same thing without knowing what the other one would choose. And we like stuff the other people in our houses don’t, so this is going to work out beautifully.
I thought I would share the recipes with you as we go along. Well, if they are any good.
First up: Zuppa Toscano which is a spicy-ish potato and sausage soup.
Zuppa Toscano Recipe
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 large potatoes, sliced in half long-ways and then chopped into thin-ish half moons
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups torn kale leaves (bite-size pieces)
- 6 slices bacon
How to Make Zuppa Toscano Soup
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Crumble sausage into pot; cook and stir until browned, about 10 minutes. Drain and discard grease.
- In a separate pan, cook 6 slices of bacon and remove and chop. I cooked the onions in some of the the bacon grease.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, onion, oregano, and red pepper flakes into sausage, bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Then add the cream, season with black pepper and add the kale into soup. Simmer until kale is tender, 10 to 15 more minutes.
- It was better the second day.
- I froze some and thawed it out, and the potatoes got mashy. It was still good, but I have decided this one is better fresh.
- There are lots of kinds of sausage in the world, I was sort of confused about what to buy at Kroger. Ultimately, I got that ingredient at The Fresh Market.