I took my son Charlie (4) to a children’s Museum. In one of the rooms they had a pipe that sends the sound of your voice to another part of the room. He saw a kid at the other end and approached the pipe. But instead of oh, I dunno, saying “hello,” he started to sing “Oh, oh, Oh-oh-oh…Oh-oh-oh-oh” (as in the New Kids on the Block’s – The Right Stuff).
I almost peed my pants.
This brings me to my next tip: make sure your kids know really important things like
the Pledge of Allegiance the best songs of the 80s!
I decided I should probably make a list of the artists/songs I really want my kids to know and then put together a playlist so they can learn them. That’s right, a modern-day mix tape! Brings back memories, doesn’t it?
Our kids are learning some stuff from the Wii Dance, but this matter is of such extreme importance that I feel I must supplement their education. (This is the extent of the homeschooling that happens at our house!)
Okay, so far they know:
- We Got the Beat, Our Lips are Sealed, and Vacation by the Go Gos. They also heard and liked the Go Gos called Cool Jerk, which I don’t want them to know, so I told them it was “Blue Jet.” They sing that with gusto which is, of course, very entertaining)
- Come on Eileen
- Our House
- Sweet Dreams
- Video Killed the Radio Star
- Hey Micky
- The Right Stuff by New Kids on the Block (I think we might need to teach them the dance moves that go with that…)
- Whip It (Our family went to a Halloween Party as Divo last year)
- Walking on Sunshine
Other 80′s songs I want them to learn are:
- Take On Me by Ah-Ha
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
- Fight For Your Right by the Beastie Boys
- Wake Me Up Before You Go Go
- I Love Rock’n Roll by Joan Jett
- We’re Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister (I can’t believe they don’t know this after that whole fantasy flash mob in my mind thing.)
- Madonna – not sure which songs
- Michael Jackson – not sure which songs
I thought I would get your input. What are the MUST-KNOW 80s songs in your opinion?