New Years day, for me, is one of the few days I tell myself the cold hard truth. It’s a day of personal accountability (fortunately and unfortunately). Do I have all the cliché resolutions? Certainly. Won’t bore you with them. I’ll focus on the ones that I think will be most impactful in 2010.
1. Stop multi-tasking! Um, excuse me, you say? A mom stop multi-tasking? Okay, to be realistic there is a certain amount of multi-tasking that has to happen. For example, TV and folding laundry. It just makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is to multi-task people. I have realized I sometimes am on the computer when I am talking on the phone, or looking at a magazine while I sit with my daughter while she colors. In the end, I am cheating a loved one out of my attention and doing neither activity well. So, in 2010, I am going to limit my multi-tasking to tasks.
2. Focus on moderation. I tend to overdo it on whatever has piqued my interest. A piece (or a quarter) of a pie or arts and crafts projects (I don’t do just one, I do 14 at a time).
3. Schedule. Stick to a schedule that includes some me time. After all, I am much better at taking care of everyone else if I make sure I get enough personal time.
4. Date my husband. I put so much effort into my kids’ activities, but I need to remind myself to schedule a little fun for the two of us now and then.
5. Finish my book. Yes, I have a book I can’t seem to get finished. (This one goes with Resolution #3).
6. Talk less and listen more.
7. Lastly, find new ways to make my life as a mom easier and share them with others.